Royce Name Origin and Meaning
If you’re looking for a name that exudes royalty and regality, then Royce might be the perfect choice for you. This name has an English origin and is derived from the surname Royce, which in turn is derived from the medieval given name Royse. Royse is a variant of the name Rose, which means “rose flower.”
The name Royce has a strong and refined sound to it, making it a popular choice for parents who want a name that sounds classic and mature. It also has a nerdy and serious vibe to it, which can make it a great choice for parents who want a name that sounds intelligent and studious.
One of the interesting things about the name Royce is that it is a gender-neutral name, meaning that it can be used for both boys and girls. However, it is more commonly used as a boy’s name.
The name Royce also has a royal connotation to it, as it means “son of the king.” This makes it a great choice for parents who want a name that has a royal and majestic feel to it.
Overall, the name Royce is a great choice for parents who want a name that is classic, mature, and has a royal connotation to it. Whether you’re looking for a name for your baby boy or girl, Royce is definitely a name worth considering.
Popularity and Rank of Royce
If you’re considering naming your child Royce, you might be interested in knowing how popular the name is. Royce is a unisex name of English origin, meaning “son of the king.” It was fairly popular in the 1930s and 40s, but its popularity declined in the following decades. However, it has seen a resurgence in recent years, helped by some well-known athlete bearers.
In the United States, Royce is predominantly a boy’s name, with 92.69% of Royces being boys and 7.31% being girls. Royce is currently ranked #417 in U.S. births, according to BabyNames.com. It is not currently in the top 100 on the Baby Names Popularity Charts, but it has been used in the United States ever since 1892, with over 31,650 girls given the name in the past 200 years.
According to Everything Birthday, Royce’s average ranking is 5148.25, with its highest ever rank being #1. Royce has reached the top 10 most popular girls’ names once, and has reached the top hundred names once. In 2023, Royce is predicted to be #393 in popularity, up 119 spots from 2022.
Overall, Royce is a name with a moderate level of popularity in the United States. It may not be the most common name, but it is still a well-known and recognized choice for parents looking for a unique yet classic name for their child.
Variations and Similar Names
If you like the name Royce, but want to explore some similar options, there are plenty of variations and similar names to consider. Here are a few:
- Roy: This is a classic name that shares the same root as Royce. It means “red-haired” or “ruddy complexion” and has been a popular choice for boys for generations.
- Reece: This name is a variant of the Welsh name Rhys, which means “enthusiasm” or “ardor.” It’s a popular choice for both boys and girls and has a similar sound to Royce.
- Liam: If you’re looking for a name that’s currently popular, Liam might be a good option. It’s a shortened form of William and has been in the top 10 names for boys in the United States for several years.
- Ava: This is a popular name for girls that has a similar sound to Royce. It means “life” or “bird” and has been in the top 10 names for girls in the United States for several years.
- Reyes: This is a Spanish name that means “kings” and has a similar meaning to Royce. It’s a popular choice for boys and has a strong, masculine sound.
- Roja: This is a Spanish name that means “red” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a unique and colorful option for a baby name.
- Roscoe: This is an English name that means “doe wood” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a vintage name that’s been making a comeback in recent years.
- Roch: This is a French name that means “rock” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a strong and sturdy name that’s perfect for a little boy.
- Rosa: This is a Latin name that means “rose” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a beautiful and classic name for a little girl.
- Ross: This is a Scottish name that means “headland” or “promontory” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a strong and masculine name that’s been popular for generations.
- Royse: This is a variant of the name Royce that has a slightly different spelling. It has the same meaning and sound as Royce, but might be a good option if you’re looking for something a little more unique.
- Rolle: This is a French name that means “famous wolf” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a strong and powerful name that’s perfect for a little boy.
- Rome: This is a Latin name that means “strength” or “power” and has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a unique and powerful name that’s perfect for a little boy.
- Rosco: This is a variant of the name Roscoe that has a slightly different spelling. It has the same meaning and sound as Roscoe, but might be a good option if you’re looking for something a little more unique.
- Rock: This is a strong and masculine name that’s perfect for a little boy. It’s a simple and straightforward name that has a lot of power and strength.
- Roe: This is a short and sweet name that has a similar sound to Royce. It’s a unique and modern option for a baby name.
Royce in the Context of Surnames
When it comes to surnames, the name Royce has an interesting history. It is an old and classic English surname that can be traced back to the Domesday Book of 1086. The name is derived from “the son of Royse,” which was a baptismal patronymic name.
According to records, the first person with the surname Royce was Rothais, who was listed in the Domesday Book. Later, in 1156, Rohais, wife of Gilbert de Gaunt, was also listed. The name Royce was quite popular in Kent, where it originated from.
The meaning of the name Royce is not entirely clear, but it is believed to be a variant of the medieval given name Royse, which is a variant of Rose. The name Royse was a popular name for girls in the 13th and 14th centuries in France.
Royce is a surname that has been around for centuries, and it has evolved over time. Today, it is a relatively uncommon surname, but it is still used in some parts of the world.
If you have the surname Royce, you can feel proud of your heritage and the history behind your name. It is a name that has stood the test of time and has a rich history.
Significance of Royce in Popular Culture
Royce has made its mark in popular culture, appearing in various forms of media and entertainment. Here are some examples of the significance of the name Royce in popular culture:
- Famous people: Royce is a popular name among athletes, musicians, and actors. Some famous people with the name Royce include Royce Da 5’9″, an American rapper, and Royce Gracie, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner and retired mixed martial artist.
- Rolls-Royce: The name Royce is also associated with the luxury car brand, Rolls-Royce. The company was founded in 1904 by Charles Rolls and Henry Royce, and it has since become synonymous with luxury and prestige.
- Home and life: Royce is a name that conveys a sense of strength and resilience, making it a popular choice for parents looking for a strong name for their child. It also has a regal quality that makes it suitable for a home or business name.
- Renown: The name Royce has a long history and has been used by many notable figures throughout the years. It is a name that has stood the test of time and continues to be a popular choice for parents today.
Overall, the name Royce has a strong and positive connotation in popular culture. It is associated with success, luxury, and strength, making it a popular choice for parents and businesses alike.
Royce as a Baby Name
When it comes to choosing a name for your baby, Royce is a unique and charming option. This gender-neutral name of English origin means “rose,” “ruddy,” or “of renowned king.”
Royce was originally an English surname, derived from several origins. It became a popular first name in the 1930s and ’40s and has seen a resurgence in recent years, helped by some well-known athlete bearers.
According to BabyNames.com, Royce is primarily a male name, but it has also been used for girls. It ranks #352 in popularity for baby boys in 2023, up 148 spots from the previous year. It is a great choice for parents looking for a name that is not too common but still has a classic feel to it.
If you are considering the name Royce for your baby, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Royce is a short and simple name, making it easy to pronounce and spell.
- It has a strong and regal sound to it, making it a great choice for parents who want their child to have a powerful name.
- Royce pairs well with a variety of middle names and last names, giving parents plenty of options to create a unique and personalized name for their child.
- It is a great choice for parents who want a gender-neutral name that is not too trendy or overused.
Overall, Royce is a beautiful and timeless name that would be a great choice for any baby. Whether you are looking for a classic name or something more unique, Royce is definitely worth considering.