Origin and Etymology of Selene
If you’re interested in the meaning and origin of the name Selene, you’ve come to the right place. The name Selene is of Greek origin and has been used since ancient times. In Greek mythology, Selene was the goddess of the moon, daughter of Hyperion and Theia. Her name is derived from the Greek word “selas,” which means “light, brightness, gleam.”
According to Hesiod’s Theogony, Selene was one of the twelve Titans, children of Uranus and Gaia. She was often depicted as a beautiful woman with a crescent moon on her forehead, riding a silver chariot pulled by two white horses.
The name Selene has been used throughout history, and it remains a popular name today. It is a name that exudes beauty and grace, and it is no wonder that it has been a favorite name for parents throughout the ages.
In ancient Greek, Selene’s name was spelled Σελήνη (selene), and it was sometimes shortened to Σελάνα (selana) or Σελάννα (selanna) in the Doric and Aeolic dialects. The name Mene was also used to refer to Selene, and it meant “the moon” or “the lunar month.”
Overall, the name Selene has a rich history and a beautiful meaning. It is a name that has stood the test of time and continues to be a popular choice for parents today.
Meaning of Selene
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Selene, you might be wondering about the meaning behind the name. Selene is a Greek name that means “moon goddess.” It’s derived from the Greek word “selas,” which means “light” or “brightness.”
In Greek mythology, Selene was the goddess of the moon and sister of the sun god, Helios. She was often depicted riding a chariot across the night sky, pulling the moon behind her. Selene was also associated with the goddesses Artemis and Hecate, both of whom were also associated with the moon.
The name Selene has a long history, dating back to ancient Greece. It’s a beautiful and unique name that’s perfect for parents who want something a little different for their daughter.
Overall, Selene is a name that’s associated with light, brightness, and the moon. It’s a name that’s both beautiful and powerful, making it a great choice for parents who want to give their daughter a strong and unique name.
Selene in Greek Mythology
Selene was a lunar goddess in Greek mythology, often depicted as a beautiful woman with a crescent moon on her forehead. She was the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia, and the sister of Helios (the sun god) and Eos (Dawn). Selene was also known as Cynthia and Phoebe, and was worshiped at the new and full moons.
In the Homeric Hymn to Helios, Selene is described as the “luminous goddess” who drives her chariot across the night sky. She was said to have fallen in love with the mortal Endymion, and would visit him every night while he slept in a cave. This myth inspired the phrase “to sleep like Endymion” which means to sleep deeply and peacefully.
Selene was also associated with the underworld, and was believed to have the power to bring the dead back to life. According to some sources, she was one of Zeus’ lovers and they had several children together, including Pandia, Ersa, Nemea, and Dionysus.
In art, Selene was often depicted riding a chariot pulled by two white horses or driving a crescent-shaped boat across the sky. She was also often shown wearing a lunate crown and carrying a torch or a billowing veil (velificatio).
Overall, Selene was a significant figure in Greek mythology as the goddess of the moon and the night sky. Her stories and depictions continue to inspire and fascinate people to this day.
Popularity and Usage of the Name Selene
If you are considering naming your baby girl Selene, you might be interested to know how popular this name is. According to the Social Security Administration, Selene ranked #691 in popularity in the United States in 2022. However, it is worth noting that popularity can vary by region and year, so it is best to check the latest data for your specific area.
Despite not being one of the most popular baby names, Selene has been steadily rising in popularity over the years. According to Nameberry, Selene ranked #347 in popularity in 2022 and is expected to rise to #846 in 2023. This suggests that more and more parents are choosing Selene as a name for their baby girls.
Selene is a beautiful and unique name that has been growing in popularity over the years. If you are looking for a name that is not too common but still has a classic feel, Selene might be the perfect choice for your little one.
Variations and Similar Names
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Selene, you might also want to take a look at some of the variations and similar names of Selene. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Selena: This name is a Latin variation of Selene and is more commonly used in the US. It means “moon goddess” and is a popular name for baby girls.
- Celine/Celene: These names are of French origin and mean “heavenly” or “sky”. They are similar to Selene and have a similar sound.
- Serena: This name is of Latin origin and means “calm” or “peaceful”. It has a similar sound to Selene and is a popular name for baby girls.
- Luna: This name is of Italian origin and means “moon”. It is a popular name for baby girls and has a similar meaning to Selene.
- Athena: This name is of Greek origin and means “goddess of wisdom”. It is a popular name for baby girls and has a similar strong and powerful connotation as Selene.
- Scarlett: This name is of English origin and means “bright red”. It has a similar strong and bold connotation as Selene.
Other variations and similar names to Selene include Selyne, Seline, Zelene, Delene, Melene, Solan, Selma, Soline, Salome, Selima, and Solin.
Overall, there are plenty of beautiful names with similar meanings and sounds to Selene. It’s important to choose a name that you love and that fits your baby girl’s personality and future.
Famous People Named Selene
If you are looking for inspiration for your baby girl’s name, you might want to consider Selene. This name has been used for centuries and has been associated with various famous people.
- Selene Luna: Selene Luna is a Mexican-American actress, burlesque performer, and stand-up comedian. She has appeared in several films and TV shows, including My Bloody Valentine 3D, Celebrity Wife Swap, and The Cho Show. Luna is also an advocate for disability rights and has spoken publicly about her experiences with arthrogryposis.
- Cleopatra Selene: Cleopatra Selene was the daughter of the famous Egyptian queen, Cleopatra VII, and the Roman general, Mark Antony. After her parents’ deaths, she was taken to Rome and raised by the emperor Augustus. Cleopatra Selene married King Juba II of Numidia and had several children. She was known for her intelligence and political savvy.
- Aurora Selene: Aurora Selene is a model and social media influencer. She has over 1 million followers on Instagram and has worked with several fashion brands. Aurora Selene is known for her unique sense of style and her love of vintage clothing.
- Lucian Selene: Lucian Selene is a character in the popular book series, The Mortal Instruments. He is a werewolf and a member of the New York werewolf pack. Lucian Selene is known for his loyalty and his fierce protectiveness of his pack.
- Sebastian Selene: Sebastian Selene is a character in the video game, Final Fantasy XIV. He is a member of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and is known for his intelligence and his strategic thinking.
- Liam Selene: Liam Selene is a fictional character in the book series, The Immortals. He is a powerful immortal who has been alive for centuries. Liam Selene is known for his dark sense of humor and his love of mischief.
- Sloan Selene: Sloan Selene is a character in the TV show, The Bold Type. She is a fashion designer and the owner of the fashion brand, Scarlet. Sloan Selene is known for her creativity and her determination to succeed.
In conclusion, Selene is a beautiful name that has been associated with many famous and influential people throughout history. Whether you are looking for a unique name for your baby girl or just love the sound of Selene, it is a name that is sure to make a statement.
Symbolism and Cultural References
The name Selene is derived from the Greek word “selas” which means light. In ancient Greek culture, the moon was believed to be a symbol of fertility, feminine power, and intuition. Selene was the goddess of the moon and was worshipped at the new and full moons. She was also associated with Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, and Endymion, a shepherd who was said to have been put into an eternal sleep by Selene so that she could visit him every night.
The moon has always been a natural wonder that has fascinated people throughout history. It has been the subject of many classic works of literature, including Homer’s “Odyssey” and “Iliad”. The beauty of the full moon has been celebrated in art, music, and literature for centuries. The moon has also been a source of inspiration for nerdy celestial enthusiasts who have studied its movements and phases for centuries.
In many cultures, the moon is seen as a symbol of heaven and is associated with the divine. Lunar deities and goddesses have been worshipped in many cultures throughout history. Selene was one of the most important lunar deities in Greek mythology and was worshipped for her beauty and power.
In conclusion, the name Selene is rich in symbolism and cultural references. It is associated with the beauty of the moon, the power of feminine intuition, and the divinity of the heavens. Whether you are a lover of history, art, or nature, the name Selene is sure to inspire and captivate you.
Gender and the Name Selene
When it comes to gender, the name Selene is most commonly associated with the feminine. In fact, Selene is a name that is almost exclusively given to baby girls. According to BabyCenter user data, Selene was the 966th most popular name for baby girls in 2023, with 115 fewer babies given the name than in the previous year.
While Selene is a feminine name, it is important to note that gender is a social construct, and individuals may choose to identify with any gender, regardless of the name they were given at birth. It is also worth mentioning that some parents may choose to give their baby boys the name Selene, although this is relatively uncommon.
Overall, the name Selene is a beautiful and unique choice for parents looking for a feminine name with a strong connection to Greek mythology.
Pronunciation and Power of Selene
If you’re considering naming your child Selene, it’s important to know how to pronounce it correctly. The name Selene is pronounced as “s-uh-l-EH-n-eh” or “si-lee-nee”. It is a feminine name that originated in Greece and means “moon”.
In Greek mythology, Selene was the goddess of the moon and was often identified with the Roman goddess Luna. She was the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia and was known for her beauty and power. Selene was also associated with fertility and was believed to have the power to control the tides.
The name Selene has a strong and powerful meaning, making it a great choice for parents who want to give their child a name with a deep and significant history. The name is associated with the moon, which is often seen as a symbol of femininity, intuition, and creativity.
In addition to its mythological roots, the name Selene has been used in literature and popular culture. It has been featured in books, movies, and TV shows, making it a recognizable and memorable name.
Overall, the name Selene has a rich history and a powerful meaning that make it a great choice for parents who want to give their child a name that is both unique and meaningful.
Siblings for Selene
If you’re considering naming your child Selene, you might be wondering what names would complement this unique name. Choosing sibling names can be a challenging task, but we’ve compiled a list of suggestions to help you get started.
When it comes to sibling names for Selene, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you might want to consider names that have a similar origin or meaning. Second, you might want to think about names that have a similar style or sound. Finally, you might want to consider names that are popular or on-trend.
Here are some sibling names for Selene that might sound good together:
- Luna: This name means “moon” in Spanish and would complement Selene nicely.
- Aurora: This name means “dawn” in Latin and would be a great match for Selene’s celestial vibe.
- Orion: This name means “son of fire” in Greek and would be a strong and powerful name to pair with Selene.
- Atlas: This name means “enduring” in Greek and would be a unique and strong name to pair with Selene.
- Nova: This name means “new” in Latin and would be a great match for Selene’s celestial theme.
- Phoenix: This name means “reborn from the ashes” in Greek and would be a powerful and unique name to pair with Selene.
- Leo: This name means “lion” in Latin and would be a strong and classic name to pair with Selene.
Ultimately, the decision of what to name your child’s siblings is a personal one. Consider your own preferences and style when making your decision, and don’t be afraid to get creative. With these suggestions, you’re sure to find a sibling name that sounds good with Selene.