Milena Name Origin and Meaning
Milena is a feminine given name of Slavic origin, derived from the word “mil” meaning “gracious,” “pleasant,” or “dear.” It is the feminine form of the male names Milan and Milen. The name is popular in Slavic countries such as Serbia, Montenegro, Poland, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Ukraine, Croatia, Russia, Belarus, as well as in other countries.
The name Milena has a few variations, including Mila, Milada, Milana, Miladena, Milanka, Mileena, Mlada, and Mladena. It is also a popular name in Italy, where it is pronounced “mee-LEH-na.”
In Czech, Milena means “love, warmth, grace.” It is a popular name in the Czech Republic, and it is the full name of Ukrainian-born actress Mila Kunis, most noted for her award-winning role in the film Black Swan.
The name Milena has a very feminine and elegant sound, making it a popular choice for baby girls. It is also associated with positive qualities such as grace, warmth, and love.
Overall, the name Milena has a rich history and meaning, and it continues to be a popular choice for parents around the world who are looking for a beautiful and meaningful name for their daughters.
Popularity of the Name Milena
If you’re considering the name Milena for your baby girl, you might be wondering how popular it is. According to BabyCenter user data, Milena was the 673rd most popular baby name in 2023, up 177 spots from the previous year.
Milena has been steadily rising in popularity over the past few years, with its highest ranking in the United States being in 2020, when it was the 584th most popular name for baby girls.
While Milena is not yet a top 100 baby name in America, it is a popular choice in various Slavic countries and in Italy. The name’s Continental appeal is due to its meaning of “love, warmth, grace” in Czech.
If you’re looking for similar names to Milena, you might consider Mila, Melina, Milani, Mia, Malia, Amelia, Milana, Eliana, Aria, Maya, Elena, or Alina.
Overall, Milena is a beautiful and unique name choice for your baby girl that is rising in popularity but still remains relatively uncommon in America.
Variations and Related Names
If you are considering naming your baby girl Milena, you might also be interested in the various variations and related names that are available. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Mila: A short and sweet variation of Milena that is also a popular name on its own. It means “gracious” or “dear” in Slavic languages.
- Lena: A name that is often used as a standalone name, but can also be a nickname for Milena. It means “light” or “bright” in Greek.
- Alina: A name that is similar to Milena in sound and meaning. It means “bright” or “beautiful” in Slavic languages.
- Elena: A popular name that is similar to Milena in sound and meaning. It means “bright” or “shining” in Greek.
- Malina: A name that is similar to Milena in sound and meaning. It means “raspberry” in Slavic languages.
- Lana: A name that is similar to Milena in sound and meaning. It means “rock” or “to awaken” in Hawaiian.
Other related names that you might want to consider include Milada, Milana, Milanka, Mileena, Millie, Milli, Milica, and Mileva.
When choosing a variation or related name for Milena, it is important to consider the meaning and origin of the name, as well as how it sounds when combined with your last name. Some parents prefer to choose a name that is similar in sound and meaning to Milena, while others prefer a name that is completely different.
Ultimately, the decision of which variation or related name to choose is a personal one that should be based on your own preferences and the unique qualities of your baby girl.
Pronunciation and Gender of Milena
If you’re wondering how to pronounce Milena, it is pronounced as “mi-LEH-na” or “MEE-leh-na”. It is a three-syllable name with the stress on the second syllable. The name has Slavic origins and is a popular feminine name that means “gracious”.
Milena is a very European name for girls and is used in many countries, including Italy, Poland, Russia, and Slovakia. It is a versatile name that can be pronounced differently depending on the language and accent. However, the most common pronunciation is “mi-LEH-na”.
In terms of gender, Milena is a feminine name and is exclusively used for girls. It has a beautiful and unique sound that feels refined and sophisticated. The name has a charming Eastern European feel to it, which adds to its appeal.
Overall, Milena is a lovely name that is easy to pronounce and has a rich cultural history. Whether you’re looking for a name for your baby girl or just curious about the meaning and pronunciation of Milena, this name is definitely worth considering.
Famous People Named Milena
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Milena, you’ll be in good company. This name has been used by a number of notable people throughout history, including actresses, gymnasts, and even a queen consort. Here are some of the most famous people named Milena:
- Milena Kunis – Perhaps the most famous Milena of them all, Kunis is an American actress of Ukrainian descent. She’s best known for her roles in films like Black Swan and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, as well as the TV series That ’70s Show.
- Milena Govich – Another American actress, Govich is best known for her role as Detective Nina Cassady on the TV series Law & Order. She’s also appeared in films like The Good Wife and Finding Joy.
- Milena Canonero – Canonero is an Italian costume designer who has won four Academy Awards for Best Costume Design. She’s worked on films like A Clockwork Orange, Marie Antoinette, and The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Milena Dravić – Dravić was a Serbian actress who appeared in more than 100 films throughout her career. She was one of the most popular actresses in Yugoslavia during the 1960s and 1970s.
- Milena Duchková – Duchková is a retired Czech athlete who specialized in the 800 meters. She won a bronze medal at the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow.
- Milena Jesenská – Jesenská was a Czech journalist and writer who was active in the early 20th century. She’s best known for her correspondence with Franz Kafka, which was published in book form after her death.
- Milena Vukotić – Vukotić was a Montenegrin noblewoman who became the queen consort of Italy when she married King Victor Emmanuel III in 1896. She was known for her beauty and her charitable work.
- Milena Toscano – Toscano is a Brazilian actress and model who has appeared in films like Malhação and A Lei do Amor. She’s also worked as a TV presenter and a fashion designer.
- Milena Slavova – Slavova is a Bulgarian painter and poet who has exhibited her work in galleries around the world. She’s known for her abstract paintings and her use of vibrant colors.
These are just a few of the many famous people named Milena. Whether you’re drawn to the name for its Slavic roots, its association with love and warmth, or its connection to a particular person you admire, it’s a beautiful and timeless choice for a baby girl.
Cultural Significance of the Name Milena
Milena is a name with cultural significance in various Slavic countries, including Croatia, Poland, Czech Republic, Belarus, Serbia, and Ukraine. The name is derived from the Slavic word “mil,” meaning gracious, pleasant, or dear. Milena is the feminine form of the male names Milan and Milen.
In Croatia, Milena is a popular name and is often given in honor of Saint Milena, a martyr who was born in the 3rd century. In Poland, Milena is a common name and is often shortened to “Mila.” The name is also popular in the Czech Republic, where it is considered a combination of Maria and Elena.
In Belarus, Milena is a popular name and is often associated with beauty and grace. The name is also popular in Serbia, where it is often given in honor of Milena Pavlović-Barili, a famous Serbian painter and poet.
In France, Milena is often spelled as “Mylene” and is a popular name. The name is also popular in Slovakia, where it is often given in honor of Saint Milena of Rome.
In Ukraine, Milena is a popular name and is often associated with warmth and love. The name is also popular in Ukrainian-born actress Mila Kunis, who is known for her award-winning role in the film Black Swan.
Overall, Milena is a name with deep cultural significance in various Slavic countries and is often associated with beauty, grace, and warmth.
Attributes Associated with Milena
Milena is a name that has a lot of positive attributes associated with it. The name Milena means “love, warmth, grace” in Czech, and it is a popular name in various Slavic countries and in Italy. Milena is a name that is often associated with beauty, elegance, and kindness.
One of the most notable people with the name Milena is Ukrainian-born actress Mila Kunis, who is most noted for her award-winning role in the film Black Swan. Milena is also the name of a character in the novel “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” by Milan Kundera.
Milena is a name that can be combined with other names to create unique and beautiful combinations. For example, Milena Marina or Milena Natalia are both beautiful combinations. Other combinations that work well with Milena include Leilani, Amara, and Irina.
If you are considering naming your child Milena, you can be confident that you are giving them a name that is associated with love, warmth, and grace. Milena is a name that is sure to make your child stand out and leave a lasting impression on those they meet.