Jared is a name with Hebrew roots that has been popular for decades. The name comes from the Hebrew name יָרֶד (Yared) or יֶרֶד (Yered), which means “descent.” Jared is an Old Testament name that has been used by Jewish and Christian families for generations.
As mentioned, Jared has Hebrew roots and is derived from the name יָרֶד (Yared) or יֶרֶד (Yered). The name is often associated with the biblical figure of Jared, who was a close descendant of Adam in the Old Testament. Jared’s father was Mahalalel, and his son was Enoch.
In Hebrew, the name Jared is spelled יָרֶד, which is pronounced “yah-red.” The name is also sometimes transliterated as Yared or Iared.
The etymology of the name Jared is straightforward: it means “descent” in Hebrew. The name likely originated as a reference to Jared’s ancestry, as he was a descendant of Adam and Eve in the Bible.
Jared is also sometimes associated with the Ethiopian monk Yared (505-571), who is regarded as a saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Yared is said to have introduced the concept of sacred music to Ethiopian Orthodox services, and his feast day is celebrated on May 19.
Overall, the name Jared has a rich history and a strong connection to Hebrew and biblical traditions. Whether you choose the name because of its religious significance or simply because you like the way it sounds, Jared is a timeless choice that is sure to stand the test of time.
Meaning of Jared
Jared is a masculine name with Hebrew roots that translates to “to descend,” “descent,” or “one who descends.” The name has a biblical origin and is mentioned in Genesis 5:15-20. Although the name technically means “to descend,” it has a modern, strong, and genuine feel to it. It is often associated with a kind and charismatic leader.
The meaning of Jared is closely related to the concept of descent. It can be interpreted as a reference to a person’s ancestry or lineage. The name Jared can be seen as a tribute to one’s roots and heritage. It is a name that carries a sense of history and tradition.
The name Jared can also be interpreted as a reference to the act of descending. It can be seen as a symbol of humility and groundedness. The name suggests a person who is not afraid to face their challenges and is willing to work hard to achieve their goals.
In summary, the name Jared has a rich and meaningful history. It is a name that is associated with strength, genuineness, and humility. If you are considering naming your child Jared, it is a name that will carry a sense of tradition and history while also being modern and charismatic.
The name Jared has a significant presence in the Bible, particularly in the Old Testament. Jared was the fourth antediluvian patriarch in the line of Seth and the father of Enoch. He was also the son of Mahalaleel.
According to Genesis 5:15-20, Jared lived for 962 years and was the father of Enoch. He was also the sixth in the ten pre-flood generations between Adam and Noah. Jared’s primary history is recounted in Genesis 5:18-20.
In Luke 3:37, Jared is mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus Christ. The verse reads, “the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalaleel, the son of Cainan.”
The name Jared is also mentioned in 1 Chronicles 1:2, where he is referred to as Jered. Additionally, 1 Chronicles 4:18 mentions a son of Ezra with the same name.
Overall, the biblical references to Jared highlight his descent and his important role as a patriarch in the line of Seth. His name continues to hold significance in the history and genealogy of Israel and the Christian faith.
Popularity of Jared
Baby Name Popularity
Jared has been a popular name for babies for decades. In 2023, it ranks #578 in popularity, a decrease of 18 spots from the previous year. However, it is still a well-known and widely used name for baby boys.
According to BabyCenter user data, Jared is a name that has been consistently popular over time. It has been in the top 1000 names since 1952 and peaked in popularity in 1998 at #153.
While Jared is the most common spelling of the name, there are several variations that parents may choose to use. Some popular spellings include Jarod, Jarred, Jarrod, and Jarrad.
It is important to note that while these variations may be used, they may not be as widely recognized as the traditional spelling of Jared. Parents should keep this in mind when choosing a spelling for their child’s name.
Overall, Jared remains a popular and well-known name for baby boys. Its Hebrew meaning of “he descends” and its association with the biblical figure make it a meaningful choice for parents. Whether you choose the traditional spelling or a variation, Jared is a strong and masculine name that is sure to stand the test of time.
Variations and Similar Names
When it comes to variations and similar names, there are quite a few options to consider if you’re looking for a name that has a similar sound or meaning to Jared. Some of the most popular options include:
- Jarrod: This name is a variation of Jared that has a slightly different spelling. While it’s not as common as Jared, it’s still a great option if you like the sound of the name but want something a little bit different.
- Jordan: While Jordan isn’t directly related to Jared, it has a similar sound and feel. This name is a great option if you’re looking for a unisex name that’s both modern and classic.
- Jerrod: This name is another variation of Jared that’s slightly different in spelling. Like Jarrod, it’s not as common as Jared, but it’s still a great option if you like the sound of the name.
- Yared: This name has a similar meaning to Jared, as it comes from the same Hebrew root word. It’s a great option if you want a name that has a similar meaning but a different sound.
- Jareth: This name has a similar sound to Jared but has a different origin and meaning. It’s a great option if you’re looking for a name that’s a little bit more unique.
- Jerry: This name is a classic option that has a similar sound to Jared. While it’s not as popular as it once was, it’s still a great option if you want a name that’s both timeless and familiar.
- Gerard: This name has a similar sound to Jared but has a different origin and meaning. It’s a great option if you want a name that’s a little bit more traditional.
Overall, there are plenty of options to consider if you’re looking for a name that’s similar to Jared. Whether you’re looking for a variation of the name or a name that has a similar sound or meaning, there’s sure to be an option that fits your preferences.
Famous People Named Jared
If you’re looking for famous people named Jared, you’ll find a variety of actors, athletes, and public figures with this name. Here are a few notable individuals:
- Jared Leto: An American actor, singer, and songwriter, Jared Leto is best known for his roles in films such as “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Blade Runner 2049.” He has also won several awards for his music, including a Grammy for Best Rock Album in 2019.
- Jared Harris: Born in London, Jared Harris is an actor who has appeared in a variety of films and TV shows. He is perhaps best known for his roles in “Mad Men” and “Chernobyl,” for which he received an Emmy nomination.
- Jared Padalecki: An American actor, Jared Padalecki is best known for his roles in TV shows such as “Gilmore Girls” and “Supernatural.” He has also appeared in films such as “House of Wax” and “Friday the 13th.”
- Jared Goff: An American football player, Jared Goff is the quarterback for the Detroit Lions. He previously played for the Los Angeles Rams and was selected first overall in the 2016 NFL Draft.
- Jared Kushner: An American businessman and political figure, Jared Kushner is the son-in-law of former President Donald Trump. He served as a senior advisor to Trump during his presidency and played a key role in several of his administration’s policies.
- Jared Allen: A former American football player, Jared Allen played as a defensive end for several NFL teams, including the Minnesota Vikings and the Chicago Bears. He was selected to the Pro Bowl five times and was named first-team All-Pro four times.
- Jared Cohen: An American author and foreign policy expert, Jared Cohen is the founder and CEO of Jigsaw, a technology incubator that is part of Alphabet Inc. He has also served as a member of the Secretary of State’s Policy Planning Staff under both Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton.
- Jared French: An American painter and photographer, Jared French was a member of the Precisionist movement and is known for his depictions of the male form. He was also a founding member of the New York Society of Independent Artists.
- Ivanka Trump: An American businesswoman and former political figure, Ivanka Trump is the daughter of former President Donald Trump. She served as an advisor to her father during his presidency and has been involved in several of his business ventures.
These are just a few of the many famous people named Jared. Whether in film, sports, or politics, individuals with this name have made their mark in a variety of fields.
Other Notable Jareds
If you’re looking for more famous people with the name Jared, you’re in luck. Here are some other notable Jareds that you might recognize:
- Jared Goff: An American football quarterback who played for the Detroit Lions. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in 2016 and played for them until 2020.
- Jared Kushner: An American investor, real estate developer, and former senior advisor to President Donald Trump. He is married to Ivanka Trump.
- Jared Allen: A former American football defensive end who played for the Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, and Carolina Panthers. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and a four-time First-team All-Pro.
- Jared Cohen: An American businessman and author who is the CEO of Jigsaw, a technology incubator that is part of Alphabet Inc. He is also a former advisor to both Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton.
- Jared French: An American painter who was part of the Precisionist movement. He was known for his depictions of male nudes and was a member of the New York School of artists.
- Ivanka Trump: An American businesswoman, fashion designer, author, and former senior advisor to her father, President Donald Trump. She is married to Jared Kushner.
Other notable Jareds include Richard Jared Rank, a former American football player, and Drake Bell, an American actor and musician. As you can see, the name Jared has been used by many successful people in various fields.