Della Name Origin and Meaning
If you’re searching for a unique and beautiful name for your baby girl, Della might be the perfect choice. The name Della has a rich and interesting history, with roots in several different languages and cultures.
The origin of the name Della can be traced back to several different languages, including German, English, Italian, Greek, and Welsh. In German, Della means “noble,” while in English, it is often associated with the word “delight” or “pleasure.” In Italian, Della is a diminutive of the name Adelaide, which means “noble type” or “of noble birth.” In Greek, the name Della is associated with the heart, while in Welsh, it is often used as a nickname for the name Delia.
Despite its diverse origins, the meaning of the name Della is consistent across all cultures. Della is a name that is associated with nobility, strength, and beauty. It is a name that exudes confidence and power, making it a great choice for parents who want to give their daughter a name that will help her stand out from the crowd.
Overall, the name Della is a unique and beautiful choice for a baby girl. Whether you’re drawn to its Germanic roots or its association with nobility and strength, Della is a name that is sure to make a lasting impression.
Popularity of the Name Della
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Della, you might be wondering how popular the name is. According to the Social Security Administration’s records, Della was a relatively common name in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but it has become much less popular in recent years.
In 2022, Della was the 804th most popular girl’s name in the United States, with 349 baby girls given the name. However, in 2023, the name has risen in popularity to 678th place, with 475 babies being named Della. This represents a significant increase in popularity over the previous year, with a rise of 126 spots in the rankings.
While Della is still an uncommon name, it has been steadily gaining popularity in recent years. The name has a vintage feel to it, which may appeal to parents looking for a unique yet classic name for their daughter.
It’s worth noting that the popularity of the name Della can vary significantly from state to state. In some states, the name is much more popular than in others. For example, in 2022, Della was the 434th most popular name in Texas, but only the 991st most popular name in New York.
Overall, Della is a lovely and uncommon name that is steadily gaining popularity. If you’re looking for a unique and classic name for your baby girl, Della might be the perfect choice for you.
Famous People Named Della
If you’re considering the name Della for your baby girl, you may be interested to know that there are several famous people who share this name. Here are a few notable Della’s:
- Della Reese: A singer and actress who was known for her powerful voice and roles in popular TV shows like “Touched by an Angel.”
- Della Jones: A British mezzo-soprano opera singer who has performed in some of the world’s most prestigious opera houses.
- Della Alexander: A character in the popular British soap opera “EastEnders.”
- Della Duck: The twin sister of Donald Duck and mother of Huey, Dewey, and Louie in the Disney universe.
- Della Street: The secretary of Perry Mason in the classic mystery novels and TV shows.
- Della Vacker: A character in the popular book series “Keeper of the Lost Cities” by Shannon Messenger.
- Della Reese: A journalist and author who has written for publications like the Chicago Tribune and Essence magazine.
As you can see, the name Della has been used by a diverse group of people in various fields. From singers and actresses to fictional characters and authors, this name has made its mark on popular culture in many ways.
Variations and Similar Names
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Della, you might also want to explore some of the variations and similar names. Here are some options to consider:
- Adela: A German name meaning “noble,” Adela is a longer version of Della that also has a royal ring to it.
- Adeline: Another German name, Adeline means “noble kind.” It’s a popular name that has been making a comeback in recent years.
- Adelaide: This name has a similar sound to Della and means “noble kind” in German. It’s a classic name that has been used for centuries.
- Alida: A Dutch name meaning “noble kind,” Alida is a unique alternative to Della.
- Cordelia: This name has a regal feel to it and means “heart” in Latin. It’s a name that has been used for centuries and has a timeless quality to it.
- Dahlia: This is a flower name that has a similar sound to Della. It’s a unique name that has been growing in popularity in recent years.
- Delia: A Greek name meaning “from Delos,” Delia has a similar sound to Della but a different origin.
- Delilah: This name has a similar sound to Della and means “delicate” in Hebrew. It’s a name that has been rising in popularity in recent years.
- Etta: A short and sweet name that has a similar sound to Della, Etta means “estate ruler” in English.
Other variations of the name Della include Dell, Delline, and Delle.
Overall, there are many variations and similar names to Della that you can consider when choosing a name for your baby girl. Whether you’re looking for a longer version of the name or a unique alternative, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Usage of Della as a Middle Name
If you’re looking for a unique and beautiful middle name for your baby girl, Della might be the perfect choice. As a middle name, Della can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your baby’s name, while also giving her a strong and independent identity.
Della is a feminine name of German origin, meaning “noble”. It is often used as a short form of other names such as Adela, Adeline, and Adelaide, but it can also be used as a standalone name. Since the 1870s, Della has been used as an independent name, and it has gained popularity in recent years.
When choosing a middle name for your baby, it’s important to consider the flow and rhythm of the full name. Della is a great choice for a middle name because it has a simple and timeless sound that pairs well with many first names. It also has a strong vowel sound that can help balance out longer first names.
Here are some examples of popular first names that pair well with Della as a middle name:
- Ava Della
- Lily Della
- Grace Della
- Emma Della
- Sophia Della
If you’re looking for a more unique combination, you can also consider pairing Della with less common first names. Della can add a touch of sophistication to more unusual names, such as:
- Juniper Della
- Freya Della
- Elodie Della
- Aurelia Della
- Seraphina Della
In conclusion, Della is a beautiful and versatile name that can make a great middle name for your baby girl. Whether you pair it with a classic or unique first name, Della is sure to add elegance and strength to your baby’s name.
Della Name in Literature and Media
The name Della has been used in various works of literature and media, often as a character name. Here are some notable examples:
- Della Street: She is the secretary of the fictional lawyer Perry Mason in the Perry Mason novels by Erle Stanley Gardner. Della Street is known for her intelligence, loyalty, and efficiency. She has been portrayed by various actresses in film and television adaptations of the novels.
- Della Vacker: She is a character in the Keeper of the Lost Cities book series by Shannon Messenger. Della Vacker is an elf who is known for her beauty, grace, and strength. She is a member of the Black Swan, a secret organization that protects the elven world.
- Della Duck: She is a character in the Disney comic universe. Della Duck is the twin sister of Donald Duck and the mother of Huey, Dewey, and Louie. She is known for her adventurous spirit and her determination to reunite with her family after being lost in space for years.
These characters have contributed to the popularity of the name Della and have given it different connotations depending on the context. Della Street represents professionalism and efficiency, while Della Vacker represents beauty and strength. Della Duck, on the other hand, represents family and adventure.
Overall, the name Della has a rich history in literature and media, and its usage in popular works has helped to shape its meaning and associations.
Pronunciation and Spelling of Della
If you’re wondering how to pronounce the name Della, it’s pronounced as “del-la.” The name Della is of German origin and means “noble.” It is a feminine name that has been used since the 1870s and is a short form of various names such as Adela, Adeline, and Adelaide.
When it comes to spelling, the name Della is spelled as “D-E-L-L-A.” It is a five-letter name that is easy to spell and remember. It is a popular name for baby girls and has been gaining popularity over the years.
If you’re looking to share the name Della with others, you can easily pin it on your social media profiles or share it with your friends and family. The name Della is a beautiful and unique name that is perfect for any baby girl.
Overall, the pronunciation and spelling of the name Della are simple and straightforward. It is a beautiful and timeless name that is perfect for any baby girl.
Baby Names Lists Featuring Della
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Della, you may be interested in other baby names that have a similar sound or feel. Here are a few baby name lists featuring the name Della:
Two Syllable Girl Names With Balance and Beauty
If you’re looking for a name with a similar rhythm to Della, you might consider a two-syllable girl name. This list features names that have a balance of sounds and beauty, much like Della.
Sibling Names for Della
If you’re looking for sibling names that pair well with Della, here are a few options. These names have a similar feel and sound to Della, making them great choices for sisters.
Popular Baby Names in Your State
If you’re curious about how popular the name Della is in your state, check out the Social Security Administration’s list of popular baby names. You can see how many babies were named Della in your state in the most recent year.
Baby Names Ranked by Popularity
If you’re interested in how Della ranks among other baby names, check out the Social Security Administration’s list of popular baby names. You can see how Della ranks nationally, as well as how it has changed in popularity over the years.
Overall, Della is a beautiful and unique name that has a classic feel. Whether you’re looking for a similar name or just curious about its popularity, these baby name lists are a great place to start.