Arlo Name Origin and Meaning
If you’re looking for a strong and unique name for your baby boy, Arlo might just be the perfect choice. This name has an interesting history and meaning that can make it stand out from the crowd.
Arlo is an Old English name that means “fortified hill” or “rocky hill”. It is made up of two words, “hoer” which means strong, and “hlaew” which means hill. This name was first used by Edmund Spenser in his epic poem “The Faerie Queene” as the name of a hill where the gods debate.
Arlo is a place name in Germany, which is derived from the Old English words “earl” meaning nobleman and “hoh” meaning high place. It is also a name of Spanish origin, meaning “between two highlands”. In Basque-speaking regions, it is the word for area.
Despite its Old English roots, Arlo has become a popular name in recent years. It has been used as a fictional place name in various books and movies, such as “The Good Dinosaur” and “Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire”.
Overall, Arlo is a strong and unique name with a rich history and meaning. It’s a great choice for parents who want to give their baby boy a name that stands out from the crowd.
Popularity of the Name Arlo
If you’re considering naming your son or daughter Arlo, you might be wondering how popular the name is. According to data from the Social Security Administration, Arlo has been steadily rising in popularity over the past decade. In fact, in 2021, it was the 201st most popular name for baby boys in the United States.
Here’s a closer look at the popularity of the name Arlo over the past few years:
|Year||Rank (Boys)||Rank (Girls)|
As you can see, Arlo has been climbing the ranks steadily over the past few years. It’s worth noting that while the name is traditionally male, it has become increasingly popular as a gender-neutral name in recent years.
While Arlo is still outside of the top 200 names for boys, it’s a name that is definitely on the rise. If you’re looking for a unique and trendy name for your little one, Arlo might just be the perfect choice.
Arlo as a Gender-Neutral Name
Arlo is a name that is commonly seen as a boy’s name, but it is also considered by many to be a gender-neutral name. This means that it can be used for both boys and girls, and it has gained popularity in recent years as a result.
The name Arlo has its roots in Spanish, German, and Old English, and it means “fortified hill” or “between two hills.” It is a short and simple name that has a strong and sturdy feel to it, which is why it is often associated with boys. However, it can also be a great choice for parents who are looking for a unique and gender-neutral name for their child.
One of the reasons why Arlo has become a popular gender-neutral name is because it is not tied to any particular gender or cultural background. It is a name that can be used by anyone, regardless of their gender identity or cultural heritage. This makes it a versatile and inclusive name that can be embraced by a wide range of people.
In addition to being a gender-neutral name, Arlo is also a fashionable name that has been embraced by many parents in recent years. It has a modern and trendy feel to it, which makes it a great choice for parents who want to give their child a name that is both classic and contemporary.
Overall, Arlo is a great choice for parents who are looking for a gender-neutral name that is strong, versatile, and fashionable. Whether you have a boy or a girl, Arlo is a name that can be embraced by anyone and will make a great addition to your family.
Variations and Similar Names
If you’re considering naming your child Arlo, you may also be interested in similar names and variations. Arlo has many possible derivations, including variations of the name Harlow and derived from the Anglo-Saxon words hoer and hlaw, together meaning “stone or rock hill.” Here are some other names that you may find similar to Arlo:
- Harlow: This name is a variation of Arlo and means “rocky hill.”
- Milo: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “soldier” or “merciful.”
- Aherlow: This name is an Irish name that means “lowland between two hills.”
- Arlowe: This name is a variation of Arlo and means “hill.”
- Charles: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “free man.”
- Arielle: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “lion of God.”
- Charlotte: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “free man.”
- Hazel: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “hazel tree.”
- Isla: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “island.”
- Liam: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “strong-willed warrior.”
- Levi: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “joined” or “attached.”
- Oliver: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “olive tree.”
- Violet: This name has a similar sound to Arlo and means “purple.”
Arlo also has variations in different languages. For example, in Italian, it may be a shortened form of the name Carlo, while in Spanish-speaking regions, it may be a variation of the name Carlos. In Basque-speaking regions, it is the word for area.
Overall, there are many variations and similar names to Arlo that you may also find appealing. It’s important to choose a name that you love and that has meaning to you and your family.
Arlo in Different Countries
Arlo is a name that has gained popularity in various countries around the world. Here is a brief overview of how the name is perceived in different countries:
Arlo is a gender-neutral name that has been growing in popularity in the United States. It is currently ranked as the 190th most popular name for boys, according to the Social Security Administration. Arlo has been used by several celebrities, including Johnny Knoxville and Toni Collette, which has helped increase its visibility.
Arlo is a name that has been steadily increasing in popularity in Australia over the past few years. It is a gender-neutral name that is often seen as a modern and unique choice. Arlo has been used by several Australian celebrities, including actress Teresa Palmer, which has helped raise its profile.
Arlo is a name that has been gaining popularity in New Zealand, particularly in recent years. It is a gender-neutral name that is often seen as a fresh and modern choice. Arlo has been used by several New Zealand celebrities, including musician Marlon Williams, which has helped increase its visibility.
Arlo is a name that has been steadily growing in popularity in the United Kingdom. It is a gender-neutral name that is often seen as a unique and modern choice. Arlo has been used by several British celebrities, including actress Sienna Miller, which has helped raise its profile.
Overall, Arlo is a name that is gaining popularity in various countries around the world. It is often seen as a modern and unique choice, and its gender-neutral nature makes it a versatile option for parents looking for a name for their child.
Famous People Named Arlo
Arlo is a unique name that has been given to many famous people throughout history. Here are some notable individuals named Arlo:
- Arlo Guthrie: A singer-songwriter known for his folk music. He is the son of legendary folk musician Woody Guthrie and is best known for his song “Alice’s Restaurant.”
- Arlo Bates: An American author, educator, and newspaperman. He was a professor of English literature at MIT and wrote several novels, including “The Philistines” and “The Puritans.”
- Arlo Eisenberg: An inline skater who is considered one of the pioneers of the sport. He is the founder of Senate, a company that produces inline skating products.
- Arlo Haskell: An author, historian, poet, and publisher. He is the author of several books, including “The Jews of Key West” and “The Poet’s Guide to New Hampshire.”
- Arlo L. Olson: A recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Korean War. He was a member of the U.S. Army and was awarded the medal for his bravery in battle.
- Arlo Parks: A British singer-songwriter who has been praised for her introspective and emotional music. She has released several critically acclaimed albums, including “Collapsed in Sunbeams.”
- Arlo White: An American sportscaster who is best known for his work covering soccer. He has worked for NBC Sports and is the lead commentator for Premier League matches in the United States.
- Toni Collette: An Australian actress who named her son Arlo. She is known for her roles in films such as “The Sixth Sense” and “Little Miss Sunshine.”
These individuals have all made their mark on the world in different ways, but they all share the name Arlo.
Arlo in Popular Culture
The name Arlo has made appearances in various forms of popular culture, including films, music, and literature. Here are some notable examples:
- The Good Dinosaur: In this 2015 Disney-Pixar animated film, Arlo is the name of the titular character, a young Apatosaurus who befriends a human boy named Spot. The name is fitting for the character, as it means “fortified hill” and Arlo is initially portrayed as timid and vulnerable before becoming more courageous and confident throughout the story.
- Singer Arlo Guthrie: Arlo Guthrie is a folk singer-songwriter who gained fame in the 1960s and 1970s. He is the son of legendary folk singer Woody Guthrie and is known for songs such as “Alice’s Restaurant” and “City of New Orleans”. Guthrie’s first name is a tribute to Arlo Guthrie Beaugard, a friend of his father’s.
- Arlo the Alligator Boy: This 2021 animated musical film follows the adventures of a half-human, half-alligator boy named Arlo who sets out to find his long-lost father in New York City. The film features original songs and a diverse cast of voice actors.
- I Heart Arlo: This 2015 comedy film stars Ashley Greene as a woman who becomes obsessed with a man named Arlo Pear (played by Alex Dobrenko) after a one-night stand. The film follows her attempts to track him down and win him over, despite his lack of interest.
- Richard Pryor: The late comedian and actor Richard Pryor had a son named Richard Arlo Pryor, who was born in 1957. The name Arlo may have been chosen for its meaning of “between two hills”, as Pryor grew up in a hilly area of Peoria, Illinois.
Overall, the name Arlo has had a presence in popular culture for decades and continues to be a popular choice for parents seeking a unique and meaningful name for their child.