Angelique Name Origin and Meaning
If you’re looking for a beautiful and meaningful name for your baby girl, Angelique is a great option to consider. This name has a rich history and a lovely sound, making it a popular choice for parents around the world.
Angelique is a name of French origin, derived from the Latin term “angelicus” and the Greek word “angelikos,” both of which mean “angel” or “angelic.” The name is also related to the Greek term “angelos,” which means “messenger.”
The meaning of Angelique is therefore “angel” or “like an angel,” and it is often associated with qualities such as purity, innocence, and grace. In Christian tradition, angels are messengers of God, and the name Angelique can also be interpreted as “messenger of God.”
The name Angelique has been used for centuries, and it has been a popular choice for girls in many different cultures. It was especially popular in France in the 18th and 19th centuries, and it has remained a popular name in French-speaking countries ever since.
In addition to its French origin, the name Angelique has also been associated with Greek and Latin cultures. It is a variation of the name Angela, which means “messenger” or “angel,” and it is also related to the name Angelica, which means “angelic.”
Overall, Angelique is a beautiful and meaningful name with a rich history and a lovely sound. Whether you choose it for its French origin, its association with angels and messengers, or simply because you love the way it sounds, it is sure to be a great choice for your baby girl.
Popularity and Usage of Angelique
If you’re considering naming your baby girl Angelique, you might be interested in knowing its popularity and usage over the past few years. According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), Angelique is currently ranked #894 in popularity for baby girl names in the United States in 2023. This is a significant increase from its ranking of #1585 in 2022, making it a fast-rising name.
Angelique’s popularity peaked in the United States in the 1990s, where it ranked in the top 300 baby girl names. However, its popularity has been steadily declining since then. Despite this, Angelique remains a popular name in France, where it has been in the top 100 baby girl names for several years.
In terms of usage, Angelique is a unique name that is not commonly used in the United States. It is a French name that means “angelic,” and it has Latin and Greek roots. Angelique is a popular name among French-speaking countries, and it is often used in literature and movies.
Overall, Angelique is a beautiful and unique name that is gaining popularity in the United States. If you’re looking for a name that is both elegant and meaningful, Angelique might be the perfect choice for your baby girl.
Variations and Diminutives of Angelique
Angelique is a name that has several variations and diminutives, making it a versatile name that can be adapted to different cultures and languages. Some of the most common variations of Angelique include Angela, Angelica, Angeliki, Angelina, Angélique, Angele, and Angelika.
Angela is a Greek name that means “messenger of God,” while Angelica is a Latin name that means “angelic.” Angeliki is a Greek name that means “angelic,” and Angelina is a Latin name that means “angelic” or “messenger of God.” Angélique is a French name that means “angelic,” and Angele is a French name that means “angel.” Angelika is a German name that means “angelic.”
Angelique also has several diminutives, including Angelee, Angelene, Angelia, Angeline, Angelita, Angelle, and Anjelique. These diminutives can be used as pet names or nicknames for Angelique.
In addition to these variations and diminutives, Angelique is also associated with several historical figures and characters. For example, Angélique de Froissy was a French noblewoman who lived in the 17th century, while Angélique Victoire was a French actress who lived in the 18th century. Angélique de Sancé de Monteloup was a French woman who lived in the 17th century and was known for her beauty and charm.
Overall, Angelique is a name that has many different variations and diminutives, making it a versatile and adaptable name that can be used in different cultures and languages.
Famous People Named Angelique
Angelique is a name that has been used by many notable figures throughout history. Here are some of the most famous people named Angelique:
- Angelique Kerber: A German professional tennis player who has won three Grand Slam singles titles, including the Australian Open, the US Open, and Wimbledon. She is currently ranked #22 in the world by the Women’s Tennis Association.
- Angelique Boyer: A French-born Mexican actress and model who has appeared in numerous telenovelas and films. She is best known for her roles in the telenovelas Rebelde, Teresa, and Abismo de pasión.
- Angelique Rockas: A British actress and producer who has appeared in numerous films, television shows, and stage productions. She is best known for her work in the theater, where she has produced and starred in numerous productions.
- Angelique Burgos: Also known as “La Burbu,” is a Puerto Rican singer, actress, and television host. She is best known for her work as a host on the television show El Gordo y La Flaca.
- Angelique Widjaja: An Indonesian former professional tennis player who achieved a career-high singles ranking of #55 in the world. She won four singles titles and nine doubles titles on the WTA Tour during her career.
- Angélique Abachkina: A French ice dancer who competes internationally for Russia. She has won numerous medals at international competitions, including the silver medal at the 2021 European Figure Skating Championships.
- Angelique Ruth Bates: An American actress best known for her role as Kimberly Ann Hart, the Pink Ranger, in the television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- Angelique Pettyjohn: An American actress and burlesque performer who appeared in numerous films and television shows during the 1960s and 1970s.
- Angélique Seriese: A Dutch former professional tennis player who achieved a career-high singles ranking of #201 in the world. She won two singles titles and four doubles titles on the ITF Women’s Circuit during her career.
- Angelique Bouchard Collins: A character in the television series Dark Shadows, played by Lara Parker. She is a powerful witch who is a member of the Collins family.
- Angelique Limoges: A character in the television series Heartland, played by Alisha Newton. She is a young girl who lives and works on a horse ranch in Alberta, Canada.
These are just a few of the many famous people named Angelique. Whether in sports, entertainment, or other fields, those who bear this name have left their mark on the world in a variety of ways.
Angelique in Other Languages
Angelique is a name that has been translated and adapted into many different languages. Here are some of the most common translations of the name Angelique in other languages:
- German: Angelika
- Russian: Анжелика (Anzhelika)
- English: Angelique
- Dutch: Angelique
- Swedish: Angelica
- Albanian: Anxhela
- Bulgarian: Анжелика (Anzhelika)
- Catalan: Angèlica
- Croatian: Anđelika
- Italian: Angelica
In German, Angelique is translated as Angelika. The name is pronounced with a hard “g” sound, and it is a popular name in Germany. In Russian, the name is translated as Анжелика (Anzhelika), and it is a popular name in Russia and other Slavic countries.
In English, Angelique is the most common spelling of the name, and it is pronounced with a soft “g” sound. In Dutch, the name is also spelled Angelique, and it is pronounced similarly to the English pronunciation. In Swedish, the name is spelled Angelica, and it is a popular name in Sweden.
In Albanian, the name is translated as Anxhela, and it is a popular name in Albania and other Albanian-speaking countries. In Bulgarian, the name is also translated as Анжелика (Anzhelika), and it is a popular name in Bulgaria.
In Catalan, the name is spelled Angèlica, and it is a popular name in Catalonia and other Catalan-speaking regions. In Croatian, the name is spelled Anđelika, and it is a popular name in Croatia. In Italian, the name is spelled Angelica, and it is a popular name in Italy.
Overall, the name Angelique has been translated and adapted into many different languages, and it remains a popular name in many countries around the world.
Sibling Names for Angelique
If you are looking for sibling names that pair well with Angelique, you have come to the right place. Here are some suggestions that sound good together and complement Angelique’s elegance.
Names That Sound Good Together
- Anastasia: This Greek name means “resurrection” and has a regal sound that pairs well with Angelique.
- Evangeline: A French name that means “good news,” Evangeline has a classic and elegant sound that complements Angelique’s sophistication.
- Charlotte: This French name means “free man” and has a timeless sound that pairs well with Angelique.
- Emmanuel: A biblical name that means “God is with us,” Emmanuel has a strong and powerful sound that complements Angelique’s elegance.
- Pierre: This French name means “rock” and has a classic and sophisticated sound that pairs well with Angelique.
If you are looking for family names that go well with Angelique, consider using names that have a similar origin or meaning. For example, you could choose another French name, such as Gabrielle or Isabelle, or another name that means “angel” or “messenger,” such as Ariel or Gabriel.
Choosing a sibling name for Angelique can be a fun and exciting process. Whether you choose a name that sounds good together or a name that has a similar origin or meaning, make sure to pick a name that you love and that complements Angelique’s elegance and sophistication.
Angelique in Popular Culture
Angelique is a name that has been used in various forms of popular culture. Here are some examples of how the name Angelique has been used in different contexts:
- Theatre of Tragedy: Angelique is the title of a song by the Norwegian gothic metal band Theatre of Tragedy. The song was released in 1998 on their album “Aégis”. The lyrics of the song are in French and describe a woman named Angelique who is surrounded by darkness and despair. The song has been praised for its haunting melody and emotional lyrics.
- TV Shows and Movies: The name Angelique has been used in various TV shows and movies over the years. For example, in the TV show “Dark Shadows”, Angelique Bouchard is a witch who is obsessed with the main character, Barnabas Collins. In the movie “Deadly Blessing”, Angelique is the name of a character played by Lisa Hartman.
- Literature: The name Angelique has also been used in literature. For example, in the book “Angelique and the King”, Angelique is the name of the main character, a French noblewoman who becomes embroiled in political intrigue during the reign of Louis XIV. The book was written by Anne Golon and was first published in 1957.
- Music: Angelique is also the name of a song by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell. The song was released in 1975 on her album “The Hissing of Summer Lawns”. The lyrics of the song describe a woman named Angelique who is struggling to find her place in the world.
Overall, the name Angelique has been used in a variety of ways in popular culture. From music to literature to TV shows and movies, the name has been used to evoke a sense of mystery, darkness, and intrigue. Whether you are a fan of gothic metal or French literature, the name Angelique is sure to capture your imagination.
Angelique in Sports
If you are a sports enthusiast, you might have come across the name Angelique before. Angelique is a name that is quite popular in the world of sports, especially in tennis. One of the most famous tennis players with this name is Angelique Kerber, a German tennis player who has made a name for herself in the sport.
Angelique Kerber was born on January 18, 1988, in Bremen, Germany. She started playing tennis at a young age and turned professional in 2003. Since then, she has won several titles, including three Grand Slam titles: the Australian Open in 2016, the US Open in 2016, and Wimbledon in 2018. She has also won a silver medal at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Apart from Angelique Kerber, there are several other tennis players named Angelique who have made a mark in the sport. For instance, Angelique Widjaja is a retired Indonesian tennis player who won the junior singles title at Wimbledon in 2001. Angelique Olivier is a South African tennis player who has represented her country in several international competitions.
In addition to tennis, the name Angelique has also been associated with other sports. For example, Angelique Smit is a South African athlete who specializes in the 400 meters hurdles. She has represented her country in several international competitions, including the Commonwealth Games and the African Championships.
Overall, the name Angelique has a strong presence in the world of sports, especially in tennis. Whether you are a fan of Angelique Kerber or any other athlete with this name, there is no denying that Angelique is a name that is synonymous with success and achievement in the world of sports.
Angelique in the Arts
Angelique is a name that has been used in various forms of art, including film, television, and theater. In this section, we will discuss some of the notable examples of Angelique in the arts.
One of the most famous Angeliques in the arts is Angelique Rockas, a British actress of Greek descent. Rockas has appeared in a number of films and television shows, including “The Bill” and “EastEnders.” She is also known for her work in theater, particularly in London’s West End.
Another notable Angelique in the arts is Angelique Burgos, a Puerto Rican-American actress and singer. Burgos is best known for her role as “La Burbu” on the popular television show “Caso Cerrado.” She has also appeared in films such as “The Perfect Match” and “The Fate of the Furious.”
In addition to these actresses, there are also several characters named Angelique in popular culture. One of the most famous is Angelique Bouchard, a character from the television show “Dark Shadows.” Bouchard is a witch who seeks revenge on the show’s protagonist, Barnabas Collins.
Another notable Angelique character is Angelique Marquise, a character from the film “Angelique, Marquise des Anges.” The film, which was released in 1964, is based on the novel of the same name by Anne Golon.
Overall, Angelique is a name that has been used in a variety of artistic contexts, from film and television to literature and theater. Whether as a character or as an actress, Angelique has left a lasting impression on the world of art and entertainment.